Who Is the Tough Guy on the Suet?

I have watched the birds for a long time. I have had suet and birdfeeders out all
year. Sometimes, in summer, I only have the seed. Even though I have used the     "No Melt" suet, I don't like it as it crumbles up something awful and is all over the deck! Sometimes other birds, such as the Eastern Bluebird, will come in and eat some of the crumbs. Just not good enough though. I have read so many posts on how the Blue Jay is such a tough hombre'. Not really! Starlings and Grackles are overwhelming because they bring in so many to the feeders. When the European Starling gets in the mood for a bath, he invites all his buddies. I have to fill the birdbath 3-4 times in a couple of hours. They splash and have a great time! Sparrows even gather on the suet. Many of them at a time. Still, they aren't very tough! So, who do you think is the toughest on my feeders?  The male and the female Red-bellied Woodpecker, that's who.  I just watched the male fly in among the sparrows, peck at all of them until they left. Then he had the suet all to himself!  A Grackle flew in and nope R-b wasn't having him hang around either.  After a few bites, he is not real greedy, just sloppy sometimes, he takes off. I assume a nest nearby.  I love the orange-red color of their head. The males head is prettier. I took a photo of the male the other day that not only shows the slight blush of color on the belly but it also looks like he has blush on his cheeks.  

Keep your eyes out for this bird as he is fun to watch. I also know their sound. He doesn't like it when I am on the deck and he wants to fly in. Although, on occasion, he will if I am not too close to the suet.  It's wonderful to stand so close. 

Male, look at that feathering on his head!






the blush on the cheeks and the breast and the belly






Quite a mouth full







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME