Playing Favoritism and I Don't Care!

Playing Favoritism
By Mary J Williams

I looked out on the deck
The birdfeeders were packed
Sparrows and Grackles
Starlings I didn’t lack

I saw a little Downy
Trying to get to the food
So, on the deck I stepped
Those other birds would start a feud

When the Grackles and Starlings
Saw me step on the deck
They and the sparrows
Flew off by heck

The Downy went to the suet
He started pounding away
Getting his share of the food
On this, a rainy wet day

When the Grackles flew in
I would raise my hand
They took one look at me
And they didn’t land

The sparrows and Starlings too
They all came flying in
But I would raise my arm
Off they went, as I did grin!

The Downy ignored my movements
He just kept on eating
Realizing I was playing favorites
His breakfast he was completing

But, in came the one single Starling
Ignoring me standing there
Off flew the little Downy
I scared that Starling off too, I didn’t care

So, I’m playing favorites
Those other birds have had plenty
They eat 80% of the suet and seed
I don’t care if they don’t get any!

This is what it looks like most of the day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME