Hoping to Beat that old Raccoon This Time!

 It started a while ago when the raccoon tore down a feeder!  I didn't replace it for a very long time.  I eventually purchased the tubular kind. Bronze or Copper with a wire that circles so the birds can get but maybe a tad harder for the squirrels.  I filled it up with sunflower seed.  The first time I filled it, it lasted for about a week.  Birds aren't the best about going to new feeders.  I didn't see the squirrel on it, but it's farther down in the yard, so, don't see it as well.

This morning I decided to fill up the platform feeder with the Wild Bird Seed Mix!  When I proceeded to the feeder, I notice the new one was missing!  Did I tell you about the other new one that went missing? I don't think I did! I looked and looked for it and couldn't find it. I weeded along the fence line even and not to be found.  I even asked my neighbor to be on the look out for it if he went down to the back of our properties.  The next Saturday my son and grandson came to mow. I was still looking for the feeder.  In fact, I had just attempted to pull branches apart in the Forsythia that was below the feeder. I told Derrick, my grandson, if he would keep an eye out for it when he did the trimming.  He said, "Oh, I found one on the ground a week ago when I mowed.  I hung it on the fence. Sorry! I forgot to tell you!"  It had thistle and some fine sunflower seed hearts.  I think a raccoon did that too. The seeds way to small so they were still in the feeder!

Now, back to this new one.  I looked and there, laying on the ground, was the feeder. The wire or whatever it was was broken at the feeder top. Now, I had to figure out what to do!  I went into the workroom and took off the cap that held the twisty wire on.  Now what to use. Ah, I found a ring. The kind you use with a key chain. Real sturdy. Slipped that on the bar and tightened the bar back down. I looked for a wire hanger. I thought I might have one in the coat closet, but what's that?  It looks like a hanger but it's blue.  I took it down from the peg board and sure enough, it's a plastic coated piece of a hanger.  I worked on making a small loop to put over the ring.  Got it! Now, how long to make it.  I finally got the wire cut. That wire is tough! Good! A raccoon won't be able to break it! Maybe chew it, but he might break a tooth or two doing it! I can only hope!  Got the bigger loop done and the feeder filled with sunflower seed and now to take it up to the deck! I will have to bring it in at night like the others! 


What do you think?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME