It's November and I Planted

 The other day there was an ad I got on my email from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company. I have purchased many items from them through the years. This time they were promoting some awesome looking daffodils!  I just had to go and look and see how much and make a decision, do I want them or should I pass!  I bet you all know the answer. I received 10 bulbs of one called Mallee Daffodil, 10 of Caribbean Parrot and 10 of Flaming Parrot.

About the same time I received another ad from Dutch Grown. They had some pretty pink Daffodils. The ones I was interested in were already sold out, but they did have one called Pink Charm. They also had a mini daffodil called Cha Cha. I ordered 10 of the pink and 25 of the mini.  

I received them just before we got all that rain. I was going to plant them but when the weather forecast was storms, I decided to wait. I am glad I did as the other shipment came from Dutch Grown, so, I had them all to plant.

Today I started in. I couldn't find my favorite shovel. I looked and looked. Then I grabbed a regular shovel, just a small one, got my pad to sit on, and my refuse bag for weeds or whatever. I walked up to the front yard, where I found my alternate small hand trowel and grabbed it up. When I reached the area I wanted to plant in, I realized I left my refuse bag and the sitting pad down in the garage. This old lady doesn't move up and down the hill like she used to, so, I thought, "forget it". I should have gone back after it. 

I started digging with the small shovel and then took the trowel and twisted in a circle and made the hole deep enough, hopefully, and placed the bulbs in.  I am bending over doing this, no sitting pad! By the time I got 15 planted, I was almost ready to quit and not do anymore.  But, I am a stubborn old gal and when I start something I like to finish it!  Over to the other side of the sidewalk and put in 4 bulbs.  Then with the shovel dug a trench and removed all the Zoysia grass, that always gets into my flower bed.  Started planting again. More Flaming Parrot and Mallee Tulips. A few of the bulbs had small bulbs starting on their sides.  I just left them and didn't separate them. So, I ended up with a total of 28 bulbs planted, well, at least 28 holes.  After filling all the holes with the soil, I then covered with the leaves. 

Okay, this was all I could handle. I was dug out totally. I couldn't do the other 35 bulbs. I want to put them up by the bay window. I think the chipmunk has been eating my others, so there aren't as many as there used to be. 

I love the spring flowers. Do I have a complaint? Yes, yes I do! They don't flower long enough! Sometimes when I put annuals in that area, I inadvertently dig up a bulb!  

Now, you have the story of the tulip planting! See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME