Roly Poly, Pillbug, Sowbug, Woodlice All The Same


A Roly Poly Morning
By Mary J Williams ©

Some call them sow bugs
Pill Bug is another name
Woodlice is another
Roly Poly is the same

A little bug-like character
That rolls up into a ball
That’s when they get scared
They are not insects at all!

They are more closely related
To lobster, crabs, and shrimp
Not to beetles and butterflies
Is that what you did think?

This morning after a little rain
I stepped outside my door
Looked around the yard
And the sidewalk had pepper galore

Wait that isn’t pepper
Those are pillbugs out there
Some are even mating
I’m watching and they don’t care

I have never seen this before
Roly Polies everywhere
I couldn’t resist and touched
Then flicked that ball into the air

The ball fell into the grass
Back to where he was from
So many need to go there too
I’m afraid to move and kill some

No idea why they were there
It had something to do with the rain
Coming out from under the mulch
I wonder if it will happen again.

Just one section of the sidewalk

Mating pair in this picture

Another section of sidwalk.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME