Lacy, My Sidekick

I had pumpkins grow in my yard this year. All volunteer from last Halloween. There must have been a couple of hundred of the plants growing. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much!  I decided to let three of them grow. Later another sprouted on the other side of the yard and I don't have a clue where that seed came from. It wasn't like any of the pumpkins I had the previous year. A bird, chipmunk or some other way. Who knows.  I had eleven pumpkins that made it to maturity. Two from the odd plant. I baked one of my original pumpkins from my plants, in the oven, took forever and when I finally did take it out, it was so difficult to peel and cut up and puree.  I almost gave up, but I didn't. 
Since then, I found a recipe to cook the pumpkin in an Instant Pot. It was a dream. Took me the longest to separate all the seeds from the string. The baked pumpkin seeds are great! So, I have pureed pumpkin for whatever, pie, bread, cookies or something else.  
I had to write a poem as my girl, Lacy, was right by my side through this whole process. Just waiting for the one piece to fall!

Where is Lacy?
By Mary J Williams©

I am in the kitchen
Lacy should be here
When I am cooking
I know she is near

I slowly turn around
She is standing right there
Waiting for something to drop
Whether I’m standing or sitting in a chair

Today I was cooking a pumpkin
I have it in the Instant Pot
Only fifteen minutes to cook
Then let it cool a lot

Next, I did some slices
Then cut the pumpkin in half
Lacy ran over beside me
She really made me laugh

I slipped a seed to the floor
Lacy lapped it right up
I guess I will give her a new name
My little pumpkin pup

Not only did she eat the seeds
But the stringy pulp too
Seems like she couldn’t get enough
Waiting for more till I was through!

I took a picture of a seed or two
Amazed, each had one of the strings,
That blob inside the pumpkin,
A seed holds on to one of those things

My pumpkin is all pureed
Seeds are washed, ready to bake
Make a pumpkin pie some day
There are other things I could make

Whatever I decide to do
I know Lacy will be right there
Waiting for something to drop 
That’s my little girl, we make a great pair!

Two strings, two pumpkin seeds



My Lacy- aka Pumpkin Girl


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME