Today In My Yard

 I was standing on my deck, looking out and saw some red dots.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I have a Winterberry bush/tree and have never seen it bloom and there it was with red berries all over it.  I was thrilled. I went and got my camera and took a picture from the deck.  Even with my zoom, it wasn't a terrific picture as the camera was trying to focus on the the branches of a tree that was much closer.  I finally went down the deck steps and made my way to the back fence. 

I took a couple of pictures of the Winterberry and then noticed something else that also had the red berries.  I didn't know what it was, but I should have.  I have an app on my phone and used it for the identification of the unknown berry.  It was the berries of the Amur Honeysuckle. The Honeysuckle that is so invasive.  I have pulled it out every year I have lived in this house. Over 30 years now.  It's a losing battle. The birds sure like them.

As I was standing at the back fence, a motion caught my eye. I looked and saw a bird. I finally found it with the camera but it flew away. I waited for a few more minutes and, sure enough, the bird came flitting back to almost the same place it was before.  I found it in the view-finder and snapped a picture of the Black-capped Chickadee. It wasn't an award winning picture, but I could at least make the ID. It was eating a seed or berry. They fly to my deck to get bird seed, fly off, eat one and then back again, so, I waited a few more minutes. Another motion, another bush. Focused in on that bird and it was a Tufted Titmouse. Pretty good picture too. Then the Chickadee was back. I finally was able to get a pretty good picture of it too.

Great day in the back yard!  I am sure the birds and even squirrels love me as I put out mixed seed and bunch of whole peanuts and some suet. 

Up on the deck I washed the birdbath and fresh water put in.


fruit on the flowering crab tree

Amur Honeysuckle fruits

My Winterberry Ilex

The Winterberries close up

Black-capped Chickadee eating a seed

Tufted Titmouse

The Black-capped Chickadee




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME