Let the canning begin- Pickles today! Only if you can do Math!

I have mom's Bread & Butter Pickle recipe, that I have had, and made, for years. Because I didn't have many cucumbers, I decided to cut the recipe in half. Thinking I would have enough for that.  I am not a math person!  Trying to figure out what 1/2 of 1/2 Tablespoon is, almost did me in!!!!. I went on line and it sounded wrong. I worked on paper doing fractions and it just didn't seem right! I finally put a number down and hoped for the best.  Too bad I wasn't paying attention to the rest of the recipe.  I had enough cucumbers, onion and pepper for the recipe. No problem.  Had the spices too! No problem.  Had the recipe in hand. No problem. Yep, there was a problem. I didn't realize what I did until I was telling Jim about the recipe and the problem I had figuring out the 1/2 of 1/2 Tablespoon. When I did the recipe, the original is on the left and all the 1/2 portions on the right.  When I got to sugar, yep, my eyes went to the original. I thought "mom never put that much sugar in hers", and so I cut it down a whole cup. That would have been good if I was making the full recipe. So, these Bread and Butter Pickles will be a tad sweet, I'm thinkin'!  Now I still had cucumbers.  Not the regular pickle cucumbers, but still cucumbers so I thought I would try this recipe I found for Kosher Dill Spears.  I only had to buy one ingredient which was the "Ball Pickle Crisp", although they did mark it as optional. I wanted to see the difference!  Now, you all tell me (in comments if you would) what or how much do you consider is a "sprig of dill".  I am hoping I got enough in each pint jar! Going to be interesting, Sweet Bread and Butters and no dill Kosher dills!  Can you tell I am laughing right now! To be continued, after the tasting is done!  Oh, I called my brother Dave and had to tell him about the recipe stuff. I usually would talk to my mom but she recently passed away.  Told Dave he had to stand in!  When I was telling him, he said "you should have asked Alexa"  So he did!  Alexa came up with the same answer as my final figure!!! Yippee for me!!  Bet you thought no critter stuff today. Hah!  Look at the tiny cucumber.  It didn't have a chance to grow up and become an adult and be used in a salad. I only took pity on it and put it in the jar with the big dill spears. Hope they don't make fun of it!


Found this one this morning when watering 
This one came from another plant down by my sidewalk
This is the tiny one compared to the one from the front yard
The critter broke off the whole plant clear to the soil in the
planter. The plant was shriveled up on the ground. That's where
I found the little guy!

In the Kosher Dill Spears on the left will be the little cucumber
The too sweet Bread &  Butters (3 Jars) on the right



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME