The Raccoon Story in Rhyme
By Mary J Williams ©

I like to tell stories                                                 
And do it in rhyme
The words don’t come easy
I can’t do it all the time.

Here is the story
I am about to tell
About a certain critter
that has made me want to yell

I bought a squirrel buster
It’s a type of bird feeder
I put yummy nuts in
But this critter is a mind reader

It seems he always knows
When the nuts are filled to the top
He comes in at night
And to that feeder he hops

His weight should be the thing
That shuts that feeder down
So, the critter can’t get in
But he does, and he goes to town

I haven’t figured out
How he gets the nuts
He uses his little fingers
I think that’s how, but….

The other morning
The critter was still there
I let our dog, Lacy, out
She started to chase, I swear

My only fear at that time
Was if Lacy got really close
The coon would turn
And the results would be really gross

Thankfully the coon can climb
Up and over the fence
Leaving Lacy standing there
But I was very tense.

I have started the practice
Of bringing the feeder inside
But there are times I forget
Last night I did, I must confide

The critter had been there
Hmm, nuts were all gone
The water twirler
Was dumped upside down

I worked that feeder this morning
I put the weight to it
The openings shut down
I don’t know how to make him quit

I have a couple of choices
Into the house it needs to come
Or forget putting those nuts out
No more, I am done!

I know what I can do
I will set my alarm
To bring in the feeder
So, the critter can do no harm

I have to move the twirler too
Will set it on the deck
The critter won’t mess with it
I have tried this before, by heck

This is my story for you
I did it in rhyme
Raccoon stories
I can do all the time!
I had to throw this feeder away- s/he destroyed it!

 

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME