Critter Observation

 I was blaming the squirrels and I stand corrected on this one. I am 99.9% sure it was a raccoon and I will tell you why.

Yesterday, I was checking a feeder I had put out for the squirrels. It's a Sweet Corn Log!  I put one log in the feeder and noticed in the morning the log was gone and so was the feeder. I went to check and the lid was still on the shepherds hook.  I had a basket of sunflower seed, a large cage that held the double suet holder to keep out squirrels and large birds, a small suet holder and the new feeder with the corn log. I believe I put all the feed out on Thursday.  Didn't think to look until Saturday to see if anything had been eating on the log. Much to my surprise, the corn log feeder was missing. Only the top remained hanging. I went down and found the feeder laying in the grass! I decided to go out to Tractor Supply and see if they had any of the corn logs.  They did so bought 2 packages, which equaled 4 logs.  I purchased a new feeder, thought it was different then the other one,  that the logs would fit into but it came with the suet balls, 4 of them.  I went and hung that up Saturday, July the 10th.  I never noticed anything on the suet balls, but then I was pretty busy yesterday and didn't get to watch for a long time. After hanging the new feeder, I realized that feeder was the same darn thing as the other. Seemed a tad heavier. Hoping this one would work. 

I am observant but sometimes things just don't click.  I saw the bottom of a feeder under the swing on the deck!  I didn't connect that bottom until later.

This morning, July 11, 2021, it's raining! When I went out on the deck, when the rain was slowed to just a few drops, I thought about the feeder and took a look down to the back part of the yard. Guess what, the lid was hanging and no feeder bottom did I see.  I wasn't a whole lot surprised, just disappointed the new feeder didn't take long to be taken down. Now, I thought it was a squirrel, however, seeing as this occurred overnight, I have changed my mind. This was the work of a raccoon. Now, it clicked about the bottom I saw on the deck. Sure enough there was suet crumbs everywhere. This critter, got the bottom off of the feeder, carried it up on the deck and sat there and ate the contents.  That is why I think its a raccoon. He or she is taunting me for sure!  Now to find a feeder I can put the corn log into without it being torn apart by raccoons and inhaled all in one night!


The lid of the feeder 


the bottom of the new feeder with the suet crumbs
around on the deck


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME