Maple Tree Seeds

I was out on the deck and something flew by. I looked down and could see a ton of Maple helicoptors. That's what I always called them. A poem immediately came to mind, but I really wanted some more information. What exactly are the maple seeds called? So, Google here I come. Not only did I find out the name but found out you can eat them.  This is from a website I found: The samaras are the outer covering that must be removed when eating seeds from maple trees. A samara is a type of dry fruit, not a fleshy fruit like an apple or pear. Samara fruits can be eaten raw or cooked in a variety of ways.
After peeling the outer covering of the samara, you’ll find a pod that contains seeds. How to Eat Seeds from Maple Trees: 1. Remove the cover from the seed pod and place it in a bowl of water.
Cover the pod with plastic wrap and allow it to soak for at least 30 minutes. Rinse the soaked pod under cold running water to remove any dirt and debris that may have accumulated. Slice the pods into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place the slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Here is my poem! Enjoy!

Helicopter Seed
By Mary J Williams ©

There goes that helicopter
Falling from the sky
Twirling and whirling
Now I know why

It’s spring time here
Helicopters are the seed
Or maybe it’s Whirligigs
They whirl to the ground with speed

Samaras are the winged seed
Produced by the Maple tree
Close to the end of spring
The Samaras break loose to be free

They whirl and they twirl
And land upon the ground
Sometimes there are many
And they create a mound

Did you know you can eat them
Peel away the paper, take off the pod
Soak them in water, slice,
Serve warm or room temps, I’m awed!

Didn’t know this, until today
Saw many of them laying on the deck
Wondered about a scientific name
So, in the house, I had to check

Samaras were the name
I was looking for
Didn’t know you could eat them
That’s a double info score

So, now you know too
Our helicopter’s name
For all the Maples out there
And there claim to fame 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME