Outside my Kitchen Window

 When I am standing, at the kitchen window, I look out and usually see a bird of some kind. Today was no exception.

I was just going to finish up getting some supper for my husband, when I looked out and saw a Northern Mockingbird. This has been an experience this year. I usually don't see them on my deck. I hear them a lot, I see them in flight, when I am driving down the street, but to look out, and see them on my deck eating some seed and even dipping into the grape jelly, that is what I call a Blessing.  Not only that, there isn't just one, but two of them! It's a pair!  I am so thrilled! I have seen both of them twice on the deck now. I dropped what I was doing, dinner can wait. Raced to the back room and grabbed my camera. Nope, they weren't there when I got back. I have noticed something I hadn't noticed before. When one flew in, that tail of his was up in the air. Reminded me of the Carolina Wren. After a short time, the tail went down, but later I saw it upright again. I don't know why they do it, but I am going to do a little research and see if anyone has figured out in what circumstances the mockingbird does that.

I had some icecream for a snack tonight. As I was washing out my dish, I looked out and saw the Downy Woodpecker fly in. He likes this food I have out there that has the meal worms in it. Then I saw the White-breasted Nuthatch over on the nuts. Just as the nuthatch flew off, a Black-capped Chickadee flew in. He decided that at 7:15 p.m. he was going to wash himself off. He jumped into my birdbath and started splashing around. I talked to him, no he can't hear me, I talk anyway, I said, "Don't you think it's just a tad chilly to be bathing? It's only 43°F and the wind is blowing which brings that temperature down quite a bit!  He got out of the birdbath, just as I finished talking, flew to the top of the hook that holds the feeder, preened a little bit and off he flew.  The chickadee apparently got into something that s/he didn't want on his feathers all night! Might have to lay on eggs or something, and wanted to be clean. 

I purchased a new birdhouse for a wren. I hung it up, but probably won't get anything this year. I will still leave it out and maybe a wren will check it out and maybe keep it in mind for next year!

It was an eventful day at my kitchen window, even though I wasn't there very long! 

Until next time!

I have had the Northern Mockingbird stop by at least once a year on a feeder. This is a picture I took in the year 2020, where you can see the tail in the upright position. This is the only one I have with the tail up. Isn't it funny how you see, but don't see or realize what you are seeing! I didn't know I had a picture of the Northern Mocking bird with the tail up, until I looked through my pictures. If anyone knows what the circumstances are that the bird does this, please let me know in comments. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosebud- Our Family Dog

I'm Worn Out!

Winter-Yard Gardens Birds Critters and ME